As per usual, the weekend was a blur. I had my first REAL lab (two weeks ago we had the start of the semester, but the lab only included “safety”). This week was much more fun. We conducted experiments using iodine to test for starch in things like corn starch, table sugar, potatoes, bananas, saltines, egg whites, etc. Of course, I could guess the outcome of the majority of the tests, but it was neat to see scientific evidence.
I started my day with cinnamon roll oats (1/3 C. GF oats, 1 egg white, baking powder, cinnamon, pinch of sea salt, spoonful canned pumpkin – microwaved until cake like) drizzled in maple syrup + Brummel & Brown. On the side I had a green protein smoothie made with 1 banana, 3/4 scoop vanilla whey, 2 tbsp. peanut flour, sea salt, and baby spinach + ice.
We had an event after church on Sunday…The Bowman Family Reunion.
It’s the neatest thing to see your family tree drawn out for you the way they displayed it at our reunion. In the book on the table in the three ring binder, was the copy made for people to make changes… I was able to add my husband this year!
Homemade ice cream was the grand finale!
As you may remember, my cousin, Brandi, who was like a sister to me growing up and still remains one of my very best friends, had a birthday on September 4th, which we celebrated at our Labor Day picnic last weekend. She turned the big 2-9! Anyway, I wanted to make her something special to match the colors in her dining room.
She mentioned to me before that she’d like to have Bo make something that she could hang with paint, but we just didn’t have the opportunity to steal the little guy away to make it yet, so I created something to hold its place for now 🙂
What you’ll need:
- 2 packs of 140-count buttons
- a pencil
- a canvas
- 1 yard of ribbon for hanging & bow
- a staple gun
- needle & thread
- white acryllic paint
- a ruler or something with a straight edge
- elmer’s glue
- a paint brush
I laid out my buttons and placed them on the canvas to see where I’d like them to go, only in a small section to see just how much I’d need to alternate colors so that the same ones didn’t end up beside one another too often.
Once I was satisfied with the pattern I’d started, I removed the buttons and began to paint a thick layer of glue in one of the corners of my letter, leaving the pencil markings there. The nice thing is, the glue won’t dry immediately, so if you dislike the arrangement you’ve got going on, you have a window of time that you can make changes! I did my best to cover the pencil around the edges of the letter as I went, but it just wasn’t possible for the entire thing, so when the glue dried, I simply took some white paint and used a fine brush to fill in and cover up the lead marks on the canvas. Easy peasy! The corner designs were necessary. It was entirely too plain without them! When all the glue and paint was finished drying, I flipped the canvas over and stapled the ends of the ribbon to each of the wood sides n the back. I used a bit of the extra ribbon to make a bow and sewed it to the top where the ribbon hangs on the hook for an extra touch of girly.
With her artwork, I also found a special bottle of the iced wine that we both loved the first time we tried it a winery! It’s from a different vineyard, but none-the-less was made with sweet, frozen grapes! I have a feeling she’s going to be a fan 😉
Until next time!