I know everyone always looks forward to Friday night… but I had a MUCH better reason to look forward to it this week, than the simple fact that the day after, I wouldn’t have to haul my butt to work.
We’ve been trying to make plans with Bran (the matron of honor in our wedding) and Jared for what seems like MONTHS now. Due to sickness, in climate weather, and other “life gets in the way” issues, we hadn’t been able to until finally, this past Friday night. We managed to set aside some time to have dinner, dessert, and play games.
I’ve had this Old El Paso Mild Green Chile Enchilada Sauce sitting in our cupboard since we moved into our new home (back in October!) and when I began to brainstorm what could be a fun, yet simple meal to make for our three guests, it seemed to be staring me in the face.
As fate would have it, I had gotten some of these White Whole Wheat Soft Wrap Minis at the grocery store that week, simply because they were on an awesome sale… and I LOVE La Tortilla Factory products…AND this Kraft Brand fat-free cheddar was on sale, too! The stars had aligned 😛
All of the recipes that I found online didn’t use the same ingredients that I decided to, so I just worked with what I had. I started out based on this recipe, but I adapted it a bit… the end result was glorious, so I had to share:
Chicken & Bean Cheesy Enchiladas
- 1 lb. lean chicken breast (I used tenderloins)
- 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 can Old El Paso Mild Green Chili Enchilada Sauce (if you like a bit more spice, I’d recommend a more heated sauce — we had a little one at the table)
- 8 La Tortilla White Whole Wheat Soft Wrap Minis (or another low carb/calorie mini wrap)
- 3/4 C. fat-free refried beans
- The night before, I poached the chicken (you don’t have to do this the night before, but it will save you some assembly time). I’ll admit, I had no idea exactly how to poach chicken, so I Googled it.Turns out, it’s pretty simple.
- Pre heat the oven to350º.
- After the chicken is cooked through, shred it and combine with fat-free refried beans & 1/2 C. of the shredded cheddar in a bowl.
- Next, you use the “filling” you’ve created with the chicken/beans/cheese, and use it to put about 1 heaping spoonful on each tortilla. I made lines right down the middle to make step 4 easier. I also warmed my tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them more pliable.
- Roll them up tight and place them in an ovensafe dish so that the “seams” are on the bottom.
- Pour the entire can of enchilada sauce over the tortillas & sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. If you like your enchiladas SUPER cheesy, feel free to add extra.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes & voila!
Now, all you need is a dinner date as handsome as mine was! 😉
I served the enchiladas with some quinoa and salad on the side. I also had salsa and plain greek yogurt on the table for fixin’s. Everyone seemed to enjoy them, including myself. I will definitely be making these again…and you’ve got to love a recipe with only 5 ingredients, which takes less than 15 minutes to prepare (not including bake time).
Anywho, We played Kinect bowling and volleyball for a little while in the living room so that we could work up an appetite for dessert!
Bran brought no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream and diet root beer so we could make root beer floats! It really hit the spot and was totally refreshing.
The rest of the night, we played boys vs. girls euchre and Bowman showed us all how to make the most out of wine corks.
That kid is so content… I swear. He kept himself entertained so Mommy & Daddy could play cards with Jarid and I, by transferring the wine corks from the middle of our “coffee” table to a bowl and back again. Then, he and I played a little hockey in the kitchen… with a broom, of course.
Dinner party success. What an awesome night with a couple & their little one that we love so much!